Controller - Mountain Shadows
Position Summary: Manage the staff and operations of the Accounting Department, in order to provide timely and accurate financial information to hotel management.
- To hire, train, schedule, support, review, discipline, and terminate employees directly accountable to his/her position, to maintain highest possible levels of employee morale and department productivity.
- To establish and enforce policies and procedures for all hotel Accounting, Payroll, and for Night Audit functions accounting related policies.
- To control cash flow generated by Accounts Payable and Receivable, including authorizing payments, and ensuring the timely collection of all bills due.
- To review transmittals and journal entries to ensure accuracy and proper authorization.
- To regularly review and update Accounting related control procedures in all departments, and report to the General Manager any procedures not being adhered to.
- To review and approve all documentation of Accounting procedures, including credit card reports; Dailies; responses to credit card inquiries; chargebacks; journal entries; and preliminary financial statements.
- To ensure accurate and efficient completion of month-end closing procedures, including preparing month-end journal entries; and generating reports and commentary for the Corporate package.
- To assist the General Manager to establish specifications for the development of annual departmental budgets, including the annual budget for the Accounting Department.
- To continually monitor and control departmental expenditures to ensure meeting operational standards while maintaining annual budget.
- To follow all specifications to perform routine month-end accounting procedures, including scheduling and assisting with inventories; preparing journal entries; generating reports for Corporate package; and reconciling accounts to the General Ledger.
- To follow all specified procedures to correctly handle cash.
- To complete special projects, as requested by Corporate management, the Corporate Controller, or General Manager, meeting all pre-determined goals for quality and completion.
- To participate in Mountain Shadows EOC program, and attend hotel functions, as directed.
- To promote and comply with all policies and procedures of Mountain Shadows.
- To immediately report all suspicious occurrences and hazardous conditions.
- To maintain the cleanliness and safety of work areas at all times.
- To practice safe work habits at all times, to avoid injury to self and others.
- To ensure safe work practices of all Accounting, Payroll, and Night Audit staff, including proper use and handling of all relevant equipment.
- To ensure departmental safety training for all new Accounting, and Payroll employees, before they begin to work.
- To conduct regular departmental operations meetings, including monthly safety meetings.
- To attend all mandatory meetings as directed.
- Perform additional duties as requested by the General Manager and/or Corporate Controller.
Specific job knowledge, skill and ability:
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he/she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, or equivalent experience, required.
- CPA certification preferred.
- English fluency required.
- 5 years’ minimum experience in general accounting procedures, including one-year experience in supervisory position.
- Must know ten key by touch.
- Computer experience required.
- Hotel experience preferred.
- Familiar with OSHA, SB198, local Department of Health regulations, and relevant current laws governing handling of hazardous substances.
- Current CHAE certification preferred.
- Must adhere to practices of occupational safety and health